Monday, October 15, 2012

Roasted Cabbage

I have been having a rough few days. I am backsliding on my diet in so many ways and I don't see myself coming back to it in the next few days. I will be traveling to the coast for a nursing convention and I am planning to eat wonderful food and drink wine and beer. I probably will have a fantastic time doing it so there goes the idea that I might suffer guilt. Oh well. I hope to post pics.

Ok, so I made the roasted cabbage tonight and I tried one batch plain with just Irish butter and a second batch with red pepper flakes to give it a kick. The butter batch was very good and the red pepper batch was too spicy for me so I mixed them and it was lovely. My family is very fond of brussel sprouts so I thought cabbage would not be so far from what we like. My husband prefers the brussels for texture reasons and they are also less messy to eat. (He makes me laugh). I like the brussels better too but I am very happy to know that this is an option when the store doesn't have good looking brussel sprouts. The cabbage is more mild and is more influenced by the seasoning that I throw on them. I am very happy with several aspects of this dish.

My husband and I started our diet around the beginning of August and most of the diet has focused on portion sizes. We scaled waaay down. We also cut out a lot of meat. We haven't stopped eating meat but we stopped eating so much meat. I tried to cut out bread, pastas, candy, and pastries. Yes, this killed my soul. I haven't been following this over the last few days so don't pat me on the back just yet. The cabbage meal makes me very happy for many reasons: I am able to eat as much as I want and this meal does not cost hardly any calories, it is very cheap, and it takes almost no time or energy to make. I feel like I am cheating at cooking.

It doesn't look beautiful. Sorry. 

Above is a link to the original recipe that inspired me but I didn't do what she did.... big surprize. hahaha.
I sliced the head of cabbage, laid it out on the aluminum foil on the baking sheet, placed small (1/4inch) cubes of Irish butter on the cabbage, half of the batch also got red pepper flakes and dusted with red pepper, and then I baked them in the oven for 15 minutes on 350 and then switched the pans so that they had equal time on the top rack and baked for another 15 minutes. DONE and done. 

I have also been shirking my studies lately. I think I need to come to my senses.... I may not do as well on this next Pharm test. I will take the next exam the Monday after we get back from the coast so I don't expect my head to be in it. I am getting kinda worried now. Maybe I have time to straighten myself out before the exam. I can only hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment